Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Love is…Patient

Last week as we began our Focus 40 family devotions, we talked about love.  We talked specifically about the characteristics of love outlined in 1 Corinthians 13:4-7.  When we were wrapping up, I asked Abi which characteristic we needed to work on most as a family.  She didn't hesitate a bit when she said, "Patience!"  So for the last several days I have been relearning the beauty in being patient.

On Monday, I got back to the office at 5:00pm after a pretty rushed afternoon of an FCA event in Willard and an after school event in our neighboring community at Fulbright Springs.  I usually go home after Fulbright but tonight I was going to be bowling with the "Man Group".  I plugged in my poorly charged phone into my computer for charging purposes and it asked me if I'd like to update my phone software.  This is usually a 5 minute process so of coarse I clicked "Yes".  At 5:50pm I am still sitting in my office waiting for the update to finish, too afraid to unhook it in fear that everything would be deleted and not working.

On Tuesday, I had a few minutes, after work and before my evening meeting, to stop by the local Wally World store to pick up my 2014 fishing license.  No one was at the counter, no one was in the department, the only employee I found at first was the maintenance guy who gladly called a manager on his walkie to let them know I was waiting.  15 minutes later, I went to the automotive department and asked if they could round someone up for me.  She paged the entire store.  I thought, man, I am learning about patience.  10 minutes later I went back to the automotive department.  This time the lady was very apologetic but wasn't so nice on the intercom.  2 minutes later there is another voice on the intercom, politely asking someone to help me in sporting goods.  By this time, I am no longer by myself at the counter.  At least 2 other customers are needing help.  10 minutes later, I am on my iPhone calling the Wally World store and asking the dispatcher if she can send someone over.  I hear a manager get on the intercom system and name a specific employee this time to come to the Sporting Goods.  She was there in less than 30 seconds.

I got home last night and my internet had crashed.  We all love being on the phone with internet providers don't we?

Today I am ordering at lunch and the girl behind the counter is pretty flustered because the manager keeps asking if she will be able to work additional hours tomorrow.  This girl keeps saying no because those hours fall during her classes.  So I got to witness the 10 minute conversation, as the girl can't take my order and respond to her manager at the same time.

How did those situations turn out?
Monday-I got to the bowling alley right on time and had a blast.

Tuesday- With a great cloud of witnesses (literally) they got to see how a patient person smiles to the lady who finally came so I could buy my license.  I was kind and polite.  No complaining.  Just thankful she came.

Wednesday morning-I got to upgrade our internet free of charge (at least for a year anyways)

Wednesday Afternoon- I got to show kindness to the young lady who was totally stressed out by her manager.  I sympathized with her.  I felt the pain in hearing her communicate to her manager but not actually being heard.  Finally they settled on a time for her to come in tomorrow, it was after a full day of classes.  I smiled and said, "Don't worry, you can probably do just about anything.  You can do it!"

Love is patient…I sure am glad our Creator God is patient with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!!! Just post your comments, however they may not appear in the comments display immediately. I'll try to respond asap!

Jon