Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Out with Old...In with the New...

This is a theme that I've been reminded of a ton lately.  Obviously, one reason is that it is a new year and most everyone is making some sort of lifestyle change that will last for a little bit.  This is also a theme that runs straight through the heart of being a Christ follower.  Out with the old sinful life...in with the new life that reflects the heart of Christ.  I am in my 11th year of youth ministry and in my 8th year at LifeQuest Church.  Although the years have gone by exceedingly fast, I am quickly realizing that I am not the same youth pastor today that I was 8 years ago.  I believe there are pros and cons to both and that is what I am going to list out here in this blog.

11 years ago I was:

  • Young and able to stay up all night for lock-ins and such
  • Just getting married but no kids so I was extremely flexible with my schedule
  • Extremely passionate about changing the world for Christ and pretty confidant that I knew exactly how to do it
  • Willing to fundraise thousands of dollars per year
  • More focused on events instead of programming
  • Did not have any volunteers for the programming that I had
  • Dumb...made some really poor choices that could have resulted in some youth ministry nightmares  (for instance...playing hide and go seek in the dark...with teenagers...)
  • Paid very little
Today I am
  • Old...well in youth pastor circles...Not the oldest I know (Greg Mason you are AWESOME!) but older than most
  • Still married but I have 2 kids so my schedule is now mostly inflexible
  • Not willing to do lock-ins (have had some video game all nighters at my house but not a full blown lock-in in a couple of years)
  • Still passionate about changing the world for Christ although I have submitted to the fact that I may not know how to change the entire world but am willing to keep trying to change one life at a time.
  • Not willing to fundraise any dollars although I am willing to ask for more budgeted funds and special donations
  • More focused on programming than special events
  • I have volunteers for half of my youth ministry programming but still unsure on how to recruit, train, and use effectively
  • Cautious...today I am extremely cautious in all the activities or events that we have.  This leads to less excitement and less injuries...
  • Paid a lot
I have heard that youth ministry years are equated to multiplication and not addition.  Every year you are at the same church you are supposed to be multiplying your effectiveness instead of just adding to it.  I have heard from other youth pastors that the longer you are somewhere the easier it gets to recruit and retain volunteers.  Let me state here that I have some top notch volunteers.  With that being said, part of me senses that they are wearing out and burning out.  But me being at the same church for 7+ years now has not magically produced a plethora of volunteers to help carry the other volunteers' load.  Also at LifeQuest we have 4 awesome people who are on staff and just like almost every other church right now there isn't a ton of extra ministry dollars (and by "isn't a ton" I mean zero).

So after all that is said...in general...would you rather have a rookie youth guy/gal who takes huge risks but makes a ton of mistakes for very little pay...or would you rather have a veteran youth guy/gal who is older than most youth pastors, has experienced a ton now, but gets paid substantially more than the rookie?  I will hopefully put this poll on the side bar to this blog...I'd love to get your feedback and I am pretty sure it is totally anonymous so I won't know if your voting for me or against me! LOL!

Disclaimer:  I am not leaving youth ministry...I am not leaving LifeQuest...just very curious...

1 comment:

  1. I didn't vote, but I peeked at the results and see that, so far, all have voted for the veteran youth pastor. I know that having someone in charge keeps the boat afloat and on an even keel, but I have to wonder what happens if every church looks only for a veteran...

    I believe churches have seasons just like we do. Sometimes a church needs a novice. Sometimes a church needs a veteran.

    Can you say that your ministry is more pleasing to God as a veteran? Can you say you bring more students back to God as a veteran?

    I believe that there are needs for both - for the passion and the mistakes as well as the experience and the solid ground. When you were a novice I'm sure you had others who were experienced in your life and available to help you grow (you mentioned Greg Mason) and now that you are the experienced one, I know there are novice youth pastors out there eager for your ear and your advice.

    Welcome to the next level - a novice at being the experienced one! :) Now you get to learn to lead those coming up behind you. You get to listen to them bumble through with scraped knees, pick them up, brush them off, and send them along their way to try again. As with every level/season, you will fall yourself time and again until you reach the NEXT level! :) Enjoy your season. Enjoy your time as a leader. I have seen great things in your ministry and I have seen great things come OUT of your ministry. May God continue to bless you, those you lead, and those you love. You are highly thought-of in ministry circles and have so much more to offer - I look forward to watching you grow through the next levels. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!!! Just post your comments, however they may not appear in the comments display immediately. I'll try to respond asap!

Jon