Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The 5 Star Church

I am currently rereading The Five Star Church: Serving God and His People With Excellence by Stan Toler and Alan Nelson.  The first time I read this I was still in college so I am hoping it will bring a fresh perspective back to ministry since I've been in about 11 years now.  One of the first quotes that caught me right off the bat came in the first chapter.

The quote comes in a fictional dialogue between Gary, a church pastor, and Jeff, the manager of a 5 star hotel.  Jeff tells Gary:

"It kills me to see how hard we work to serve people in order to turn a profit, and how mediocre most churches are when their stakes are so much higher in the eternal scheme of things."

So my question is...is there a double standard?  Do we put more of an emphasis on the appearance of our workplaces and homes when compared to the appearance of the local church facility?  Do we treat the customers at work better then we treat the congregation at church?  And just to get a little mischievous on you...(I think Pastors or Church Staff sometimes forget)...that they(we) wouldn't be able to serve in a community without the financial backing of those folks who do turn profits...So in reality I believe the financiers are just as important as the messengers who are getting paid to share the Gospel.  Any thoughts on this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!!! Just post your comments, however they may not appear in the comments display immediately. I'll try to respond asap!

Jon