Monday, March 26, 2012

The Genesee Reflection #5



Friday, July 26th, 1974

     "Often a thought led to a prayer and a prayer to a letter and a letter to a real feeling of peace and warmth.  A few times, after having dropped a small pile of letters in the mailbox, I had a deep sense of joy, or reconciliation, of friendship.  When I was able to express gratitude to those who had given much, sorrow to those whom I had offended, recognition to those I had forgotten, or sympathy to those who are in grief, my heart seemed to grow and a weight fell from me.  These letters seemed to restore the part of me wounded by past resentment and take away the obstacles that prevented me from bringing my history into my present prayer.
     But there also is another side.  Perhaps part of my letter writing shows that I do not want to be forgotten here, that I hope that there still are people 'out there' who think of me..."


I do not write many letters.  I do however, type a ton of emails.  This is the avenue that is my preferred method to communicate with, educate, train, encourage, motivate, and thank those who are nearest to me and the ministry God has called me to.  Email is instant...in Nouwen's day, letters were not so much.  I often wonder what happens to the emails I send.  Do those I care deeply about in my ministry actually take the time to read them?  My beautiful bride is usually the first (and most of the time only) one to respond to some of my most meaningful, thought out, heart felt emails that, at times, will go to ten to fifteen people.  Sometimes I wonder if the content of those emails were so terrible or daunting that they weren't even worth a reply to.  Is there a better way to consistently communicate with, educate, train, encourage, motivate, and thank those who are nearest to me in the ministry God has called me to?

Nouwen continues...

    "Meanwhile, it remains remarkable how little is said and written about letter writing as an important form of ministry.  A good letter can change the day for someone in pain, can chase away feelings of resentment, can create a smile and bring joy to the heart.  After all, a good part of the New Testament consists of letters, and some of the most profound insights are written down in letters between people who are attracted to each other by a deep personal affection.  Letter writing is a very important art, especially for those who want to bring the good news."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!!! Just post your comments, however they may not appear in the comments display immediately. I'll try to respond asap!

Jon